Except when travelling to Manila, I prefer to travel light.
(Bahrain – Manila economy flights normally have 20-30 kg checked luggage allowance. So far, all the amazing airlines I’ve flown allowed extra kgs @ FOC (really appreciated, thank u!) which equates to at least 2 nos. of humongous suitcases + 2 nos. almost oversized carry ons + duty free alcohol and other purchases. I remember I even brought a 32″ LCD TV home in 2010, OFWng OFW ang peg mga frenships, hehehe.)
Below photo taken during the Power Rangers’ vacation in June 2011.
Travelling light means just me and my backpack. No checked luggage = no waiting in the carousel = speedy exit at the airport.🙂
The Backpack – Middle East Edition
The Middle East climate generally has long, very hot and humid summers and short, moderate winters. Rain is equivalent to a one minute drizzle and that’s it. Bad weather (i.e. dust storm / sandstorm) consists of dust + strong winds + Clarinase (hatchoo!).
Keeping this in mind, a light backpack is essential. Unless you want to work up a bucket of sweat and collapse.🙂
1. Travel essentials – passport + e-tkts + copies + wallet + cash + cards + phone + camera + charger
2. Clothes – 3 tops, 2 linen trousers, 2 shorts, undies, in Ziplocs
3. Plus: Cap, sunnies, sunscreen, swimwear, mini towel
4. Footwear – Sneakers, flip flops (Read: Comfort.)
5. Mini meds kit – alcohol, bandaid, Clarinase, Decolgen, Paracetamol, Loperamide
6. For tummy growl emergencies – Oreos, Dingdong mix, Cup noodles, 3-in-1 coffee sticks
7. Refillable water carrier – so you don’t have to buy & throw everytime
8. Lighter / box of matches (I don’t smoke, but always have either)
9. Miniature Toiletries – tooth brush, tooth paste, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion
10. Small sling bag for the essentials, when you’re out and about and don’t wanna bring along the backpack.🙂
If you won’t be staying in a friend / relative’s place, there’s a lot of affordable hotel accommodations within each city center which basically offer bed and breakfast. Requests for extras: electric kettle, cutlery, dinnerware, hair dryer, replenish toiletries are FOC.
So for that weekend in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, or a whole week’s stay in Doha and Muscat for the coming Eid holidays, that’s what’s all that i’m stuffing my ol’ buddy.
NB: However, for the MNL-SG-KL-HKG-Shenzen-MFM backpacking trip in December, I think I would have to add some more, and need to research on that. Then I’d call it the SEA+China Edition. Will update later🙂